General Purpose Text Editor | Programmer’s Text Editor | Unix And Server Administrator’s Tool | Powerful Text Transformer And Manipulator | Good Mac OS Citizen | Powerfully Useful Tool
A general-purpose text editor for light-duty composition, data-file editing (where the data files consist of plain [unstyled] text), and manipulation of text-oriented data. TextWrangler supports working with both plain-text and Unicode files (with the exception of files written using right-to-left writing systems, such as Hebrew or Arabic).
(click the image above to see it full size in a new browser window)
Text Editing and Manipulating Details
- Powerful single and multi-file search & replace with file filtering options.
- Flexible ‘grep’ style pattern-based search and replace based on PCRE (Perl-Compatible Regular Expression)
- Sort Lines and Process Duplicate Lines commands offer grep pattern support for sorting, extracting, and handling text
- Find Differences to compare two versions of a text file and merge the differences
- Support for a wide variety of BBEdit language modules
- Support for rectangular text selections
- Built-in text transformations: Zap Gremlins, Change Case, Entab/Detab, and more
- Open and save files in a variety of character sets, including Unicode (UTF-8 and UTF-16) files
- Supports viewing and editing of multi-byte and Unicode text
- “Live Search” for incremental text searches
- Open and save files in Mac, Unix, and DOS line-ending formats
- Hard or soft wrap text however you prefer
- Check spelling with built-in support for the Mac OS X spelling checker
- Quoted text rewrapper
- Unlimited Undo/Redo
- Multiple Clipboards
- Splittable editing windows
Download TextWrangler here.