BBEdit 8.6.2 Release Notes
This page documents all feature enhancements and bug fixes included in the BBEdit 8.6.2 update.
For information on changes made in previous versions of BBEdit, please see the release notes archive.
For detailed information on using any of BBEdit’s features, please refer to the user manual (choose “User Manual” from BBEdit’s Help menu).
BBEdit 8.6.2 requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later. If you’re still using Mac OS X 10.3.9, BBEdit 8.5.2 is the most recent version you will be able to run.
This version is a Universal application: it runs natively on both Intel-based and PowerPC-based Macs.
Additions & Changes
- Fixed bug in which certain Control-key combinations could end up being inserted into the editing window when used as menu command equivalents.
- Fixed bug in which the Java function scanner didn’t correctly handle backslash escapes in strings.
- Fixed bug in which temporary files created for diffs (cvs, p4, subversion) were prematurely removed when multiple diff operations were running.
- Fixed a class of bug in the CSS margin/padding/border editors in which for given inputs they would incorrectly populate the editor dialog and/or generate incorrect CSS when applying the values. (This was most apparent when the rule set specified properties/values for a single side of the box.)
- Fixed svn status parsing for non-English locales.
- Paths containing “;” are now properly escaped when dropping into a shell worksheet, or restoring the saved working directory.
- In blockquotes spanning multiple lines in Markdown, the last quote marker(s) is not colored as a keyword if the blockquote falls near the end of the file.
- Fixed a bug where “Check Spelling as You Type” didn’t correctly handle contractions which used a smart apostrophe.
- Added border-top-style, border-right-style, border-bottom-style and border-left-style to the list of property names for which CSS Edit Tag can bring up an appropriate editor.
- When skipping over comment tokens (generally when seeking the name of something for the function popup), skip #mark tokens as well.
- Fixed a crash in the TeX scanner.
- Fixed some TeX rescan issues.
- When generating names for entries in the function popup in Markdown files, make sure the names are at least one character long.
- Added support for the TeX “sectioning” commands \paragraph and \subparagraph. They work just like all of the other section-like commands, but they are the lowest in the hierarchy.
- Fixed a regression where the factory default language mappings for HTML/XML were incomplete. Among other things, this could prevent the batch ‘Check Links’, ‘Check Syntax’ and ‘Update’ commands from working.
To restore normal operation, you may need to use the “Reset All” button in the Languages preferences to reload the factory default suffix mappings. This will discard any customizations you have made.
- Fix for “Compare Two Front Documents” not ordering the new/old docs correctly.
- Fix for Codeless Language Modules where if a comment pattern was specified but a string pattern was not, comments were colored as strings.
- When using the “Make Backup Now…” command, the sheet that drops down now points to the preferred backup directory.
- Fixed bug in which canceling an “Open Counterpart” operation was impossible.
- Fixed bug in which the password wasn’t correctly looked up when opening FTP/SFTP files from the Open Recent menu.
- “Save Default Window” now saves splitter position in browser windows, and no longer works at cross purposes with auto-saved positions.
- Fix for a problem with rescanning Math string runs in TeX.
- Fix for stuck squiggle ranges after a ‘Learn’ or ‘Ignore’ action while spell-checking words.
- Added additional PHP predefined symbols. Thanks as always to Carsten Blüm.
- Java language support now includes generics and anonymous classes.
- Fixed bug in Markdown syntax coloring when a list item contained a link reference and the list item content was edited after (to the right of) the link reference.
- Added keywords ‘bit’ and ‘view’ to SQL (MySQL) for compatibility with 5.0×.
- The “Color Math Strings” preference option (for TeX) is now on by default.
- Fixed math error when computing width of the line-number column during printing.
- Fixed a bug with syntax coloring of line comments in SQL (MySQL) files.